Friday, March 4, 2011

Faster Pussycat Spotlight - Tiki TimeBomb

Tiki TimeBomb needs no introduction as any skater who has played against her knows what hard hits and determination are. So without further ado...


Photo by Bob Ayers

Skater name: Tiki TimeBomb

Skater number: 3.2.1

Birthday: November 9

Position: Pivot & jammer

How did you get your name: Tikis are often now depicted as fierce little figures hopping madly about with their mouths wide open and flames sprouting from their heads or somewhere nearby. This usually describes me as well. The fact that I've collected tiki art for years may have also been a factor.

Does your number have any significant meaning: 3...2...1... BOOM.

You joined derby because: I fell in love with it the moment I walked into my first TCRG bout. I didn't know what was going on, but I knew I had to do it.

How long have you been playing derby: 3 years.

Favourite thing about derby: The confidence it has given me. there's something to be said for the physicality as well, and being someone who works in customer service all day, it sure is great to be allowed to hit people at night.

Advice for new derby players: Don't give up. And if you never fall down, you aren't pushing yourself and trying new things.

New moves
: I can skate between Amazombie's legs. Watch for that move this season!

Which derby player(s) do you look up to: I have two: Carmen Getsome of Rat City is incredibly athletic, agile, and versatile. You can't stop her when she's jamming, and you sure as heck can't get by her. She has a head for strategy like no one I've ever seen.
Georgia W. Tush of Montreal Roller Derby is strong beyond her stature, and the way she's brought up her league is amazing. You can see the camraderie in everything from their warm-ups to their walls.

Tell us something non-derby related: I'm unashamedly a giant nerd. Computers are my lifeblood. If you take away my computer, I will literally shrivel to the floor and remain there, a boneless, twitching mass, until you put a mouse back in my hand and the feel of harnessed virtual power beneath my fingertips.

1 comment:

  1. Much much derby love to my favorite Canadian Leprechaun ;)

    <3 Q

    ReplyDelete