Friday, December 21, 2012

Evada Perón - Movin' On Up

We're no strangers to saying good bye. Some big names in Canadian roller derby got their start in black and purple; 8 Mean Wheeler, Amazombie, Mary Queen of Shotz, PLAYER 1, Sissy Straight-edge and coach Mack the Mouth were all on the FPC roster before they moved up to the big leagues of the WFTDA. But when you're destined for even greater greatness, saying goodbye to the Faster Pussycats is the price you have to pay.

Photo by Nicolas Charest for RollerGirl.ca
Evada Perón has been a member of the Terminal City All-Stars for a few months now, but when she got drafted, she already had her eye on the 2012 Mercury Shield and didn't want to leave the winning trajectory that she and her beloved Pussycats had started at the beginning of the house team season. Vaders can testify that playing double duty on two teams can be very rewarding, but it's also an enormous commitment and not very many TCRG players are able to do it for long. So, it's with a heavy heart that we are announcing the departure of our ferocious, raven-haired freedom fighter, Evada Perón.

We asked her a few questions about her experience on the Pussycats' roster, and her new life as a full-time All-Star.

  • When did you first know you wanted to be an All-Star?
First and foremost, I am extremely competitive. Some might say to a fault. Originally I am from Chilliwack and back in September of 2010 I heard that there was a league forming in my town. I had never heard of roller derby or had any idea that it existed in other places. After a little online investigation I came across the Terminal City Rollergirls website and started combing through it, reading about all the teams and the skaters. When I realized that derby was a real, competitive, hardcore sport, and that one of the top leagues in the country happened to be not so far away from where I lived, I challenged myself to someday be a part of the TCRG and to make it onto the All-Stars.
  • What was the try-out process like?
I tried out the All-Stars at the beginning of this year and I really enjoyed the process - I love being put on the spot and proving myself.  I worked really hard for about a year to get to a certain fitness level on and off skates and that definitely helped a lot. Those girls are fit! Basically the try-out process involved attending multiple practices with the team in order for them to view my skills and potential, and get to know me and see if I was a good fit. I'm a bit of a lone wolf and a quiet person and everyone on the team was very welcoming and encouraging. As I was going through the drills, they other skaters would cheer me on and reassure me.  

I was also completely losing my derby-crushing mind that I was skating alongside the likes of Rollergirl, luludemon, 8mean Wheeler...the list goes on.
  • How is being an All-Star different from being a Pussycat?
It's hard!  I still haven't really accepted that I'm not going to be a Pussycat next season. The FPCs have my heart. My first taste of the TCRG was a trip to Alaska with the Pussycats back in December 2011; I was invited to join them as a guest skater and fell in love. I had the luxury of finishing my season with the FPC before having to decide on one team. I think next year will be very different for me as I will only be focused on one team, rather than two. All I know is that I'm really going to miss skating in the Pussycat uniform and having the support of all the FPC fans. They are amazing.
  • What was your favorite moment with the Pussycats?
My favorite moments (yes plural) were the minutes leading up to game time. Like most skaters, this is usually the most nerve racking and miserable time for me, but the FPC had a way of making this time exciting, hilarious and extremely focused, all at the same time. There was a perfect mix of strategy talk, hugs, and snacks. I believe this is one of their best secret weapons. Don't ask me how they do it, but the FPC own the pre-game locker room chat.
  • What did you learn from being a Pussycat that will help you be a great All-Star?
I had amazing coaching and leadership on the FPC.  I learned so much about the sport from Tiki, Andi and Moneyball throughout the season.  In all honesty, I had never played a full season of derby prior to being on the Pussycats, and I considered myself a rookie this season. I really valued the skill set we had on the roster this year. 
However, the one thing that affected me the most as a Pussycat was how loved and respected I felt. The FPC are all about teamwork and staying classy. At times I can let my competitive nature take over during a game and lose focus.  But this past season my team mates consistently remained calm on the bench and positive on the track, and after experiencing that, I want to be sure to emulate it in the future.  
  • What's next for the All-Stars? What are you most looking forward to?
I am so grateful to be joining them at this time because they put in a lot of work last season.  They accomplished a huge climb in the rankings and made a name for themselves in the WFTDA's West Region. We have our schedule planned for 2013 and I am so excited to be travelling with the team to a few tournaments next spring and playing my first sanctioned game! We all share the goal of making it to Regionals next year, so that is where my focus lies right now and I just can't wait to play! Is the off-season over yet?!
  • Anything else you want to add?
Once a Pussycat, always a Pussycat! 

We couldn't agree more, Vaders. Here's what your former teammates have to say about playing with you:

Tiki Timebomb, FPC Captain:
"What has impressed me about Evada since the first time I saw her at rookie rEvolution is her track awareness. It seems like nothing escapes her. She sees holes in the opposition's defense and shoots through them before they even see her coming."

Venom S. Kiss: 
"Vaders helped take FPC to the championships in 2012 and secured the trophy as an FPC champ! As a teammate of hers, I can tell you this: she's dedicated, graceful, beautiful in and out, she's an unstoppable little machine - and her foot work is grand! I wish her all the success on the All-Stars team and I can not see anything but great things happening for her in 2013."

NazDroveyea Wylde:
"Her tenacity on the track was (and still is) inspiring, and no matter how many times I try to study her methods, I can never seem to grasp how she manages to slide past blockers and worm her way through a pack. Sometimes when I jam, I attempt to channel that Evada mojo."

We're sad to let her go, but we wish Vaders the best of luck in the next phase of her amazing derby career. She played a huge role in the Pussycats getting our paws on that gorgeous trophy, and we're  grateful that she shared a little piece of her heart with us. We can't wait to watch her hoist the Hydra Trophy over her head next season! ;)

Photo by Bob Ayers


No comments:

Post a Comment